National PTA is focused on transformative family engagement which is defined as “a shared effort of families, schools, and community leaders to advance programs, practices, and policies that empower every parent to make their child’s potential a reality.” To that end, the National Standards for Family-School Partnerships will help your school evaluate where you are in your family engagement journey and give you ideas to be more inclusive in your practices.
There are six parts to the blueprint:
- Welcoming all families into the school community
- Communicating effectively
- Supporting student success
- Speaking up for every child
- Sharing power
- Collaborating with community
Throughout the year we will be sharing with you some examples and best practices in each of these areas, but we would also love to hear from you! What are you doing to engage families in your school, council, or district PTA? Share your great ideas by completing this form or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about National PTA’s Transformative Family Engagement work, visit the Center for Family Engagement and watch this video:
- Download the complete Guide and begin to read through it or start with the briefer summary document as an introduction.
- Select one area of focus for your PTA to discuss at your next meeting. Brainstorm ideas and make a plan to put one of those ideas into action at the following meeting.
- Show the Guide to your school principal and give it to your School Site Council President.
If you missed last week’s Family Engagement Friday blog post, you can check it out here.
To return to the blog homepage, click here.