Here are a few easy-to-use tools and resources to help you plan and promote your PTA membership campaign during the back-to-school season — and all year long! Check back soon for announcements on membership training webinars. We’ll also announce the California State PTA membership goal.
Fire up your 2019-20 membership campaign!
Ready, Set, Remit and More: All PTA units that forward a minimum of 30 members through channels by October 31, 2019 will receive a certificate celebrating their success. In addition, a unit that remits at least 50 members by the October 31 deadline will receive an additional drawing ticket for any additional membership challenges they qualify for. Membership must be received through channels by October 31, 2019.
Best in 5: Any PTA unit, council or district that has a membership total that is higher than any year-end total since the 2014-15 membership year, will be entered into a drawing to receive one of 15 free registrations for the 2020 California State PTA convention. All unit, councils and districts that qualify will receive a recognition ribbon at the 2020 California State PTA convention. Membership must be received through channels by March 15, 2020.
Teachers Matter: Any PTA that has 100% of its full time credentialed teachers as members and submits a completed Teachers Matter application form by February 1, 2020 will be entered into a drawing to receive one of 10 free registrations for the 2020 California State PTA convention. All unit, councils and districts that qualify will receive a recognition ribbon at the 2020 California State PTA convention. Download the form here, and submit by 5 p.m. on February 1, 2020.
Tell Us Your Theme and Your Goal: Any PTA unit, council or district that forwards their membership theme for the 2019-2020 membership year along with a membership goal that reflects an increase over their final membership total from 2018-2019 and meets that goal will be entered into a drawing to receive one of 5 free registrations for the 2020 California State PTA convention. All unit, councils and districts that qualify will receive a recognition ribbon at the 2020 California State PTA convention. Send your goal to Vice President for Membership Services Michael Morgan (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5 p.m. on October 31, 2019. Memberships have to be received through channels by March 15, 2020 to count for the convention drawing.
Organizing and running a PTA membership campaign can be fun — and easy! Visit our Online Training Center to access recent membership and marketing webinar recordings. Visit the training center for more videos and resources.
MEMBERSHIP TOOLBOX: NEW IDEAS TO BUILD MEMBERSHIP
Looking for new ideas to increase PTA membership at your school? How about ways to engage students or teachers in PTA? Check out these great ideas and resources:
- Membership Monday eBlasts
- Membership 101 PPT Training for Leaders
- Local Marketing Plan and Template Worksheet
- Local Goal Setting Template
- Membership Timeline
- Membership Theme Ideas
- Ways to Increase PTA Membership
- 101 Ways to Increase PTA Membership – Tri-fold Brochure for Download
- Ways to Encourage Teachers to Join PTA
- Ideas to Build Student Membership and Involvement
- Membership Incentives and Awards
- Engaging men in PTA
- Sample PTA Bulletin Boards
- Membership Messaging That Works
- Share Your PTA Success Story with California State PTA
MEMBERSHIP ENVELOPES AND CARDS ARE HERE FOR YOUR PTA
- Membership Envelopes: Available now at a low-cost to local PTA units. Contact your district PTA to place your order today!
- Membership Cards: Cardstock membership cards are available through your district PTA. To print member names on the cardstock membership card, a downloadable Word template is available. Membership cards should be given to members at the point of sale. Remind your members to create a “PTA Profile” to gain access to national membership resources and year-round savings from PTA member benefit providers. Download the template.
GRAPHICS AND VIDEOS REINFORCE OUR BRAND
NEW! Social media and website graphics can help reinforce the PTA brand. Download the new graphics with the “All Children are Our Children” theme.
Social Media Graphics
- Facebook and Twitter cover images coming soon!
- Profile Overlay — Show your support for PTA by adding an overlay graphic to your Twitter or Facebook profile picture. Click here to begin.
- Join PTA Today
- All Children are Our Children logo
- All Children are Our Children/California State PTA logo
- PTA Logo — Download a PTA logo for your school.
- Good Things for Kids
- Engaging Families for Student Success
- Be an important part of the school
- Encourage meaningful education
- Do something that’s going to help children
- Focus on all the kids
- Feel connected to a bigger mission
- Create your own personalized video and be sure to share it with California State PTA as well! Send us your personalized video today!
FLIERS AND PRINTED RESOURCES
Customizable Fliers – NOW AVAILABLE IN ADDITIONAL LANGUAGES!
No need to write that invitation letter from scratch! Here’s an easy way to invite your parents, school staff and community members to join your PTA: the customizable marketing flier. Simply customize by filling in the blanks on the template, add a few photos and quotes, and save it to your computer. Your customized membership flier can be sent out electronically, or copied and distributed at PTA or community events. Print out the flier in color or black and white, attach a PTA membership envelope, and your membership campaign is on its way! Take a look at a sample flier.
- With Prestock Images
- Add Your Own Images
Ready-to-Print Fliers and Resources
California State PTA and National PTA offer a variety of FREE resources in multiple languages – ready to download, print and share with parents and families at your school.
- Support All Children and Families Poster (18″x18″) – English and Spanish
- Why PTA — English, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Tagalog and Vietnamese
- PTA vs Unaffiliated Parent Group — English only
- Today’s PTA — English and Spanish
- Today’s PTA Poster — English and Spanish
- Engagement: 15 Things You Can Do — English and Spanish
- Connect With Your School — English and Spanish
- You Are Your Child’s Advocate — English and Spanish
- Do good things for kids — JOIN PTA! — English, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Tagalog, Vietnamese.
PTA MERCHANDISE AND MATERIALS
Presenting a polished and professional image is important in building membership for your PTA. The PTA Store offers great marketing materials to help you promote your PTA, including a new design featuring California State PTA’s message “Connecting Families, Schools and Communities.”
MEMBERSHIP SUCCESS STORIES
We want to hear about all the great membership marketing strategies your PTA is putting into place. Share your PTA success stories with us.
MEMBER PERKS ADD VALUE FOR FAMILIES
We know people join PTA to support children and their schools. But PTA member perks can help make joining PTA an even greater value. Download and share the latest Member Perks flier with your members!
MEMBERSHIP UPDATES FOR PTA LEADERS
California State PTA partnered with TOTEM to develop our new electronic membership system to make joining and renewing PTA membership at the local level easier for parents, families and community members.
For several months, we’ve have been working side-by-side to test and pilot the system with a “success-based model approach” at the unit, council, district and state levels. We appreciate all the feedback we have received from our leaders at all levels. Additional accounting and reconciliation reports have been added and improvements have been made based on your suggestions. We remain committed to getting it right for you and for our members across the state. Although the pilot has been a success, we continue to work with TOTEM to add improvements and features based on feedback from our leaders and members.
As a reminder, there are no changes to PTA’s membership process and the electronic system will be completely voluntary and an optional addition to our current system. We will keep you posted as we progress in this important work to build membership and strengthen PTA. Units, councils or districts will not be required to use the new system.
Information For Council and District Leaders
California State PTA also remains committed to assisting councils and districts through the onboarding process. No unit will be turned on in the system without the district or council knowledge and approval. The California State PTA e-membership team is available for field services, regional and local trainings, or by email and phone. If you have any questions or would like to request a field service, please email email@example.com.
All of your feedback and input are being taken very seriously. Please feel free to send any questions or feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will keep you posted as we progress in this important work to build membership and strengthen PTA.
- Check out National PTA’s membership-marketing materials available in both English and Spanish
- Be sure to also reference the California State PTA Toolkit for PTA procedures and best practices
- Looking for more information about organizing your PTA membership drive, or ways to promote it? Feel free to contact the Vice-President for Membership at email@example.com
- If you need assistance in utilizing the marketing tools, please contact California State PTA.