Founders’ Day, February 17, is when we celebrate the legacy and work of our founders —Alice McLellan Birney, Phoebe Apperson Hearst, and Selena Sloan Butler — to improve the lives of all children and families.
Founders’ Day is a time to reflect and take pride in our achievements and renew our commitment to being:
- a powerful voice for all children;
- a relevant resource for parents; and
- a strong advocate for public education.
This year we are celebrating 126 years of working on behalf of children and families. Our history informs our work. But Today’s PTA is vibrant and active and includes a network of millions of families, students, teachers, and community members advocating for all children, youth, and families.
|Governor Newsom celebrates PTA’s 125th anniversary during the 2022 California State PTA Convention with a message acknowledging the positive impact our California PTA’s have had through their dedication and work to improve the lives of all children and families.|
Resources for Your PTA
- PTA Founders’ Day Proclamation Toolkit – Local PTA leaders can use these kits to ask their cities, counties, and school boards throughout California to recognize and honor PTA in February and throughout 2023!
- Download a word document Press Release template that you can edit and use to promote your Proclamation to the media.
- 2023 Founders’ Day 126 Anniversary Graphic w/California State PTA Logo
- 2023 Founders’ Day 126 Anniversary Graphic w/ room for unit/council/district Logo
- 2023 California State PTA Timeline of Advocating – Special 125th Founders’ Day Edition
- Founders’ Day History — Background information about the celebration
- Celebrate Founders’ Day and Black History Month by Celebrating Selena Sloan Butler
- Celebrating National PTA Founders’ Day, from National PTA
- Tips for Planning a Founders’ Day Event, from Missouri PTA
- Value of PTA Flier — Available in six languages
- History of PTA — Information on PTA advocacy and accomplishments for all children
- Honorary Service Awards — Honor outstanding local volunteers, members and leaders on Founders’ Day
Celebrate PTA’s Founders’ Day with graphics highlighting PTA’s advocacy accomplishments. Download and use these on your social media accounts, in newsletters, or event materials: School Safety, Kindergarten, Family Engagement, Arts in Education, Community Concerns, Child Labor Laws, Mental Health, Justice, Health, School Lunch, Inclusion, and Education Funding.
Learn More: In 2017, PTA celebrated 120 years of advocacy. Although this webinar below may be a little old, it offers great information that can be used year after year.
- Watch the webinar: Founders’ Day Planning – Celebrating PTA Day in California
- Share How Your PTA Is Celebrating! Let us know what you have planned and submit your PTA events, success stories, and news.