Families, teachers and researchers know that our kids can’t grow, learn and succeed when they’re not healthy.
NOVEMBER IS HEALTHY LIFESTYLES MONTH
PTA Healthy Lifestyles Month is an annual designation observed in November. The goal of PTA Healthy Lifestyles Month is to promote a healthy lifestyle for students in and out of the classroom. Since children spend more than 1,200 hours per year in school, it’s crucial to make sure they are able to have healthy food and adequate opportunities for physical activity. If they have these two things, they are more likely to excel in school and lead a healthy lifestyle later in life.
Parents, you may not recognize how much power lies in your hands when it comes to creating positive change in your child’s school. Since you care about your child’s learning environment, take action and get involved in your local PTA!
How to Observe
Use #PTAHealthyLifestylesMonth to post on social media. Reach out to the PTA at your child’s school and join the group to make a difference. Here are some great ideas you can bring up at your PTA meeting this month.
- Invite students to “Bring Your Parent to PTA” in exchange for a ‘homework pass’ on one piece of homework that night. That way, more parents may be inspired to join the organization
- Get talking about health and nutrition at school. It’s important to know what your child is, and isn’t eating every day
- Suggest more activities for kids to move around and stay active. Incorporating learning with movement can be more effective than having students sit at a desk all day.
TAKING ACTION FOR HEALTHY CHILDREN
That’s why California State PTA members are dedicated to promoting effective health education programs and services in schools and communities in order to offer children, youth and families the skills, tools and abilities they need to make healthy choices.
Through action in the State Capitol, in our schools and in our neighborhoods, concerned California parents and community members advocate for statewide health programs, and we actively participate on a wide variety of statewide committees addressing mental, physical and environmental health issues.
Our current efforts include:
- Supporting immunization legislation to protect vulnerable children
- Promoting comprehensive health education taught by qualified personnel as an integral part of the core school curriculum
- Supporting efforts to provide equal access to quality, affordable, basic and preventive healthcare for all children, youth, pregnant women and their families
- Supporting solutions that enable all children with chronic illness or other healthcare needs to be safe in California schools, such as by promoting education of parents and school personnel on the complexities of disease management
- Educating families to recognize the importance of a healthy environment and the potential dangers that environmental contamination poses for children’s developing minds and bodies.
- Bringing greater awareness of behavior-health issues and social/emotional development through collaborating with the school community and creating a full range of services to help all kids thrive.
It’s up to all of us to bring concerned people, agencies and organizations together to act on the urgent health needs of California’s children: the bright future of our Golden State. Stay on top of the developments and get involved with our free email alerts, and stay in touch with your local PTA for the latest information on health issues and programs at your school.
RESOLUTIONS FOR HEALTH