California State PTA’s professional employees are proud to help our state’s members, children and families.
Application Deadline and Process:
California State PTA is not‐for‐profit association with more than 750,000 members dedicated to positively impacting the lives of all children and families. To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to California State PTA at email@example.com. Open until filled. No phone calls please.
POSITION TITLE: Communications Specialist
About the Association
California State PTA is a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization based in Sacramento, with an annual budget of approximately $3.3 million. The association represents more than 750,000 members across the state and consists of approximately 3,500 local unit, council and district PTAs. Our mission is to positively impact the lives of all children and families. We advance this through advocacy, training and leadership development, and programs and services. The association communicates with various audiences such as volunteer leaders, members, policymakers, community members, educators and the media through a variety of means, including a website, print and electronic communications, social media, videos, press releases and events.
General Description of Position
The Communications Specialist performs professional and administrative work and reports to the Assistant Executive Director. This position carries out daily writing, editorial and social media assignments in alignment with the association’s overall strategic communications plan. The position works in close consultation with other communications staff and the state PTA Communications Commission, as well as with other volunteer leaders, board members, partners and external media.
This position is classified on the non-exempt salary schedule as a Specialist II.
$43,680 – $52,415
Essential functions of this position may include:
- Writes articles, social media posts, press releases, e-publications, marketing materials, talking points and other materials, with attention to advancing strategic objectives, promoting the association’s positions and priorities, and engaging and meeting the needs of multiple key audiences.
- Edits a wide variety of publications and materials, ensuring accuracy, consistency of tone, style and quality as well as grammatical correctness.
- Coordinates the approval and distribution of electronic publications and other timely e-publications.
- Assists in maintaining and updating the website, including content and links.
- Assists in developing and implementing social media strategies, and coordinates daily social media posts on appropriate platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Periscope.
- Monitors, makes recommendations and implements strategies as approved for utilizing new technologies to more effectively and efficiently advance the association’s goals.
- Assists in the evaluation and analysis of communications activities, including preparing monthly reports, media clip summaries, and social media benchmarks and email blasts analytics.
- Maintains updated database of media contacts
- Assists in the coordination of media activities, including press conferences.
- Serves on the editorial team as a writer/editor in producing California State PTA’s newsletter PTA in California.
- Assists in developing and implementing marketing strategies and tactics that promote the association, membership, and programs and services.
- Maintains California State PTA on-site marketing materials and displays, and coordinates with board members and staff to promote positive visibility at external events.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Three or more years of experience in a communications-related field
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with a nonprofit organization and/or member association is preferred
Required Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the organization’s mission, goals and policies
- Knowledge of strategic communications principles
- Proven writing skills, including storytelling and experience writing for electronic publications and social media platforms, and successfully tailoring content for specific audiences to achieve objectives.
- Excellent editing and copy-editing skills, including professional-level grasp of grammar, spelling and AP style
- Proactive, creative, collaborative and flexible
- Highly attentive to details and timelines
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to create engaging content and demonstrated achievements related to social media and communications
- Experience designing compelling visuals for online content and print materials
- Adept at communicating with diverse communities
- Strong working knowledge of communications technology, websites, social media and relevant systems and platforms
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with staff, board members, volunteers, vendors, partners and others
- Team player; Ability to demonstrate overall outlook that is positive, open, and supportive of others
- Valid California driver’s license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Position requires extensive sitting, some bending, lifting (up to 25 pounds), stooping and stretching. Effective eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard, a photocopy machine, telephone and other office equipment is also required. Some travel may be required.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not call.