Thank you for a great 2018 Legislation Conference!
Nearly 150 PTA leaders, volunteers and parents converged on the state capitol on January 22-23, 2018 to speak up for all children and families. Top priorities for PTA included ensuring equity and adequacy in public education and advancing work to ensure families are involved and engaged in the local decision-making process through the Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) and Local Control and Accountability Plans (LCAPs). Read more about the conference in this article from Arcadia Unified School District.
“The California PTA Legislation Conference is one of the most important events we can attend as PTA parents, teachers and administrators,” said First Avenue Middle School teacher Catherine Keyston who has attended this annual conference seven times and counting.
Support and VOTE for PTA’s sponsored legislation when it comes before the Assembly and Senate on meaningful family engagement under LCFF/LCAP State Priority 3 (Parent Involvement):
- Family engagement programs are a cost-effective way to increase student achievement
- Research-based practices support student success, expand student learning opportunities, community services and promote civic participation
- An expanded definition in the Education Code is needed to ensure equity for all students.
Support Informational hearings on school funding:
- Legislative hearings on school funding that examine all our options
- Create momentum to develop a long-term plan to increase education funding
- With the ultimate goal, being to match funding levels of the top 10 highest funding states.
“This conference was eye-opening and exposed me to the inner workings of education and policy-making,” shared Arcadia High School junior Aaron Wu.
RELIVE THE ACTION
Follow #PTA4Kids on your favorite social media platform to see the action from the 2018 California State PTA Legislation Conference.
- Twitter – @CaliforniaPTA
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaPTA
- Instagram – california_state_pta
Guest Speakers Included
- Dianna MacDonald, California State PTA President
- Bill Honig, Former State Superintendent of Schools
- Panel Discussion on safe school environment with speakers on bullying, suicide prevention and mental health
- Panel Discussion on the Governor’s budget with leading education partners like CSBA, ACSA and CASBO
- Effective communication with your legislator
- Carrying the PTA message and demonstrating model visits.
- Assemblymember Patrick O’Donnell, Assembly Education Chair
- Assemblymember Rocky Chavez, Assembly Education Vice-Chair
- Senator Kevin de León, Senate President Pro Tempore
- Senator Ben Allen, Senate Education Chair
- Mac Taylor, Legislative Analyst’s Office
- Legislative Visits.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSOR
We are grateful to College Board for its generous support of the 2018 California State PTA Legislation Conference.