To apply knowledge acquired in the classroom to real‐world situations, as well as gain the skills and experience that is necessary to help prepare the student for a successful career.
The communications intern works with the association’s communications team to learn public relations strategies in support of the association’s advocacy and communications goals.
$1,000 stipend upon successful completion of 150 hours
Essential Skill Building
Learns essential communications skills such as:
- Editing and/or proofreading various association materials including press releases, media advisories, electronic communication pieces, talking points, etc. according to AP Style
- Writing and scheduling social media posts
- Updating website content with approved messages and materials through an online content management system
- Maintaining media contact lists
- Tracking and analyzing social media and website statistics to prepare weekly and monthly tracking reports
- Developing compelling media pitching content and strategies as needed in coordination with the Communications Specialist
- Operating basic office equipment and computer programs such as Outlook, phones, copiers and fax machines.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications or similar field. Preferred candidate will be in the third or final year of a communications program.
- Excellent editing and writing skills with an understanding of writing for the media.
- Familiar with various social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Enthusiastic about public relations, creative, and thoughtful when it comes to new ideas.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and other computer programs needed to execute the internship functions effectively.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY
California State PTA is not‐for‐profit association with more than 750,000 members dedicated to positively impacting the lives of all children and families. This is a non-paid internship with the opportunity for hands-on learning experience and professional growth. California State PTA is pleased to offer a $1,000 stipend upon the successfully completing 150 hours. Qualified candidates email cover letter and work history to Michelle Eklund at email@example.com.