Involving teachers and administrators is one of the best ways to strengthen communication between families and schools. Encouraging them to join PTA in a collaborative partnership between home and school should be one of the focal points of your membership campaign.
IDEAS FOR GETTING TEACHERS INVOLVED
- Put an enthusiastic and supportive teacher member on your membership committee
- Hold a welcome breakfast for teachers at the beginning of the year to share the value of PTA
- Enlist the help of the principal. A principal’s encouragement to join goes a long way
- Send out personalized invitations to teachers and staff to join PTA at the beginning of the school year. Be sure to include a membership envelope
- Send out reminders to teachers who have not joined PTA including another membership envelope an/or a link to TOTEM online membership
- If your unit is using TOTEM, print the flier with QR code and post it in the teachers lounge (with permission from the school principal)
- Survey all teachers mid-year asking if they joined PTA and why, and if not, why not
- Send all teachers information about the California State PTA Continuing Education Scholarships reminding them that they must be members to apply
- Remind teachers and staff, PTA is more than a local fundraising group for their school – PTA is an advocacy organization focused on student success
- Hold a grade level or departmental membership competition. Provide winning group with bagels or danish
- Challenge the staff at a nearby school to a friendly membership competition
- Reward teachers and staff with a breakfast or luncheon when 100 percent membership is achieved.