California State PTA advocates to positively impact the lives of all children, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Numerous studies, spanning decades of research, have pointed to the fact that LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning, and all other gender and sexual minorities) youth are more likely to be the products of bullying and harassment, such that they are more prone to miss valuable class instruction, engage in self-destructive activities, and suffer from depression and suicidal ideation.
PTA encourages state, local units, and councils to review school policies in regard to bullying and support revisions and amendments to those policies that specifically address the topics of sexual orientation and gender identification/expression as they relate to harassment and bullying.
About LGBTQ Children and Families
- US Department of Education release Civil Rights Statement discussing a school environment that is free from sex discrimination
- 61 percent of LGBT students were more likely than their non-LGBT peers to feel unsafe or uncomfortable as a result of their sexual orientation
- 11-30 percent of gay and lesbian students and 12-25 percent of bisexual students missed at least one day of school because of safety concerns
- 12-28 percent of LGBT students were threatened or injured on school property from 2001-2009, according to the Youth Risk Behavior Survey.
How Your PTA Can Better Support LBGTQ Children
- Join the conversation. Follow National PTA on Twitter and use the hashtag #EveryChild
- Read the PTA One Voice Blog for PTA success stories and additional resources
- Share the Parents’ Guides to Student Success. These standards provide clear, consistent expectations for what students should be learning at each grade level in order to be prepared for college and career.
- California LGBTQ Youth Report
- Promoting Safety, Inclusion & Well-Being for LGBTQ Youth webinar from 4/11 with the Human Rights Campaign
- Stopping Anti-Gay Comments (also in Spanish)
- Welcoming Schools Checklist (also in Spanish)
- LGBTQ Definitions for Students
- Welcoming Schools Professional Development Bookmark
- LGBTQ+ Inclusiveness in Health Education
- Recognition of LGBTQ Individuals as a Protected Class
- Guidance and Talking Points for PTA Leaders
- Student Gender Identity Guidance.