Here are a few easy-to-use tools and resources to help you plan and promote your PTA membership campaign during the back-to-school season — and all year long! Check back soon for announcements on membership training webinars. We’ll also announce the California State PTA membership goal.
Fire up your 2020-21 membership campaign!
Starting September 1, 2020 and ending June 15, 2021 our Membership Drive Challenge will take your PTA on a virtual drive through our state. We will have eight different checkpoints throughout the year. The game board/map and checkpoint descriptions are included in the links below:
- Click here to view or download the game board/map in English
- Click here to view or download the game board/map in Spanish
- Click here to view or download the checkpoint descriptions and challenge instructions in English
- Click here to view or download the checkpoint descriptions and challenge instructions in Spanish
The PTA units that complete the challenge at each checkpoint will be entered into a drawing for prizes ranging from digital postcards, to bumper stickers, banners, tablecloths, and more.
The Membership Drive Challenge is not mandatory, but rather a fun way for us to recognize our local PTAs for their achievements. We’re hoping you find the checkpoints simple and fun.
For additional information, visit the Membership Incentives and Awards page.
CONGRATS TO LAST YEAR’S MEMBERSHIP CHALLENGE WINNERS!
Thank you to the hundreds of units, councils, and districts who took part in the Teachers Matter, Best in 5, and Tell Us Your Theme and Goal challenges last year. We appreciate your efforts – especially during the difficult spring months.
We drew winners for Best in 5 and Tell Us Your Theme and Goal on April 24th, 2020 and for Teachers Matter in February 2020.
Without further ado, here are the winners!!!
- Walteria Elementary PTA – 33rd District
- Cameron Elementary School PTA – 1st District
- Cypress Elementary PTA – 1st District
- Santiago Hills Elementary PTA – 4th District
- John C. Fremont Elementary PTA – 33rd District
- Joseph Arnold Elementary PTA – 33rd District
- William Green Elementary PTA – 33rd District
- First Avenue Middle School PTSA – 1st District
- Richardson Middle School PTSA – 33rd District
- Gregg Anderson Academy PTA – 34th District
Tell Us Your Theme and Goal:
- Ethan A. Chase PTSA – 23rd District
- Stanton PTA – 1st District
- Wingland Elementary PTA – 7th District
- Cutten-Ridgewood PTA – 22nd District
- Barranca Elementary PTA – 1st District
Best in Five:
- John L. Golden Elementary School PTA – 5th District
- Donald Graham Elementary PTA – 23rd District
- Hillcrest Elementary School PTA – 1st District
- Sanchez Elementary PTA – 2nd District
- Westborough Middle School PTSA – 17th District
- TECA PTA – 2nd District
- Kwis Elementary PTA – 1st District
- La Patera Elementary PTA – 15th District
- Santiago Elementary PTA – 4th District
- J. Haley Durham Elementary PTA – Peralta District
- Fern Drive Elementary PTA – 4th District
- Sunset Elementary PTA – 11th District
- Alvarado Intermediate PTSA – 1st District
- Monroe Middle PTA – 6th District
- Rolling Hills Elementary PTA – 4th District
Originally the prize for the winners of each challenge was going to be a free registration to the 2020 California State PTA Convention in Riverside. Though we had to cancel convention this year, we still intend to honor our winners’ accomplishments, so they will receive a free registration to the 2021 California State PTA Convention in Sacramento or another training opportunity that may arise in the 2020-2021 school year. Winners were also acknowledged on California State PTA’s Facebook page (here and here).
Our collective efforts to increase membership across the state are important for a number of reasons: they help us increase our advocacy voice; provide us with new leaders to train and develop so that we can continue our legacy; and just as important, allow us to connect even more families, schools, and communities.
Keep up the good work, and thank you again for proving that Every Member Matters!
Organizing and running a PTA membership campaign can be fun — and easy! Visit our Online Training Center to access recent membership and marketing webinar recordings. Visit the training center for more videos and resources.
MEMBERSHIP TOOLBOX: NEW IDEAS TO BUILD MEMBERSHIP
Looking for new ideas to increase PTA membership at your school? How about ways to engage students or teachers in PTA? Check out these great ideas and resources:
MEMBERSHIP ENVELOPES AND CARDS ARE HERE FOR YOUR PTA
- Membership Envelopes: Available now at a low-cost to local PTA units. Contact your district PTA to place your order today!
- Membership Cards: Cardstock membership cards are available through your district PTA. To print member names on the cardstock membership card, a downloadable Word template is available. Membership cards should be given to members at the point of sale. Remind your members to create a “PTA Profile” to gain access to national membership resources and year-round savings from PTA member benefit providers. Download the template.
GRAPHICS AND VIDEOS REINFORCE OUR BRAND
NEW! Social media and website graphics can help reinforce the PTA brand. Download the new graphics with the “All Children are Our Children” theme.
Social Media Graphics
FLIERS AND PRINTED RESOURCES
Customizable Fliers – NOW AVAILABLE IN ADDITIONAL LANGUAGES!
No need to write that invitation letter from scratch! Here’s an easy way to invite your parents, school staff and community members to join your PTA: the customizable marketing flier. Simply customize by filling in the blanks on the template, add a few photos and quotes, and save it to your computer. Your customized membership flier can be sent out electronically, or copied and distributed at PTA or community events. Print out the flier in color or black and white, attach a PTA membership envelope, and your membership campaign is on its way! Take a look at a sample flier.
- With Prestock Images
- Add Your Own Images
Ready-to-Print Fliers and Resources
California State PTA and National PTA offer a variety of FREE resources in multiple languages – ready to download, print and share with parents and families at your school.
PTA MERCHANDISE AND MATERIALS
Presenting a polished and professional image is important in building membership for your PTA. The PTA Store offers great marketing materials to help you promote your PTA, including a new design featuring California State PTA’s message “Connecting Families, Schools and Communities.”
MEMBERSHIP SUCCESS STORIES
We want to hear about all the great membership marketing strategies your PTA is putting into place. Share your PTA success stories with us.
STORY SUBMISSION FORM
MEMBER PERKS ADD VALUE FOR FAMILIES
We know people join PTA to support children and their schools. But PTA Member Perks can help make joining PTA an even greater value. Download and share the latest Member Perks flier with your members!
DOWNLOAD MEMBER PERKS FLIER – ENGLISH
DOWNLOAD MEMBER PERKS FLIER – ESPANOL
MEMBERSHIP UPDATES FOR PTA LEADERS
California State PTA partnered with TOTEM to develop our new electronic membership system to make joining and renewing PTA membership at the local level easier for parents, families and community members.
For several months, we’ve have been working side-by-side to test and pilot the system with a “success-based model approach” at the unit, council, district and state levels. We appreciate all the feedback we have received from our leaders at all levels. Additional accounting and reconciliation reports have been added and improvements have been made based on your suggestions. We remain committed to getting it right for you and for our members across the state. Although the pilot has been a success, we continue to work with TOTEM to add improvements and features based on feedback from our leaders and members.
As a reminder, there are no changes to PTA’s membership process and the electronic system will be completely voluntary and an optional addition to our current system. We will keep you posted as we progress in this important work to build membership and strengthen PTA. Units, councils or districts will not be required to use the new system.
GET STARTED TODAY
Information For Council and District Leaders
California State PTA also remains committed to assisting councils and districts through the onboarding process. No unit will be turned on in the system without the district or council knowledge and approval. The California State PTA e-membership team is available for field services, regional and local trainings, or by email and phone. If you have any questions or would like to request a field service, please email email@example.com.
All of your feedback and input are being taken very seriously. Please feel free to send any questions or feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will keep you posted as we progress in this important work to build membership and strengthen PTA.