Membership is PTA’s strength and our voice. We want all of our local PTAs to have the tools they need to increase membership.
Membership Marketing Challenge
Listed here are 19 ideas to market your PTA in the 2018 — 19 school year. These strategies have been successful and we think you should give them a try. If you complete 10 or more strategies and submit the form below, you will win our Membership Marketing Challenge! Your PTA will receive a certificate and a special ribbon at convention. You’ll also be entered into a drawing to win $200 for your PTA! Ten lucky PTAs will win the cash prize. Do you have another great membership strategy? Share it and we’ll count that too.
- Have a bulletin board or space that is dedicated to PTA, PTA membership and the great things you do for kids. Remember to keep it up-to-date all year! (Bonus: take a picture and share it on social media with the tag #PTA4Kids)
- Have a membership table at back-to-school night and/or during the first week of school. Welcome all parents and families and invite them to join the PTA. (Bonus: take a picture and share it on social media with the tag #PTA4Kids)
- Create your own PTA membership contest or challenge. This could be grade level challenges, a cross-town PTA membership contest, an early bird incentive, etc. Let us know what you come up with — and have fun. Tell us what worked and we may share it in a California State PTA publication or on social media
- Create a local theme! A challenge or promotion campaign around a theme is a fun and creative way to share the importance of PTA. Share your photos by posting on social media with the tag #PTA4Kids or by emailing email@example.com
- Have your PTA’s Membership Chair or President attend at least one California State PTA membership webinar or training
- List California State PTA’s Member Perks on your website, Facebook page, newsletter or other social media site. Get the info at capta.org/member-perks
- Speak in public comment at a school board meeting, city council meeting or other public meeting about the importance of PTA and ask your community members to join. Take a picture and share it with the tag #PTA4Kids
- Write an article about programs your PTA is doing and send it to a local newspaper, or write an op-ed on the value of PTA and family engagement
- Keep membership going all year round. Have membership tables at all PTA events and remind your school community of all the things PTA does by announcing the PTA is sponsoring the event, or that volunteers are coordinating the science fair, talent show, spelling bee, book exchange, etc.
- Post it on your social media accounts, and share a link to join. Use the tag #PTA4Kids
- Download the local membership goal-setting template and use it to set your monthly goals. Include strategies you will use each month and you’ll be ready for the year
- Download the membership marketing template and increase your marketing skill while increasing your PTA membership
- Share a membership story with California State PTA here
- Go old school — send a flier home reminding families of all the things your PTA does for the students, school, teachers and community. No need to reinvent the flier, let us help you with ready-to-use customizable fliers
- Hold an event focused on membership. This can be a back-to-school breakfast, or a lunch for teachers with an invitation to join or a reminder to rejoin
- Have a student membership drive and put a student leader in charge
- Make a membership video and share it on social media. Special extra prize if you can get 5 members to share it! Use the tag #PTA4Kids
- Use a PTA social media profile frame or graphic to promote the value of PTA
- Hold a PTA Founders Day event and remind everyone of the importance of joining PTA
Membership increase challenge
This challenge is easy — all you have to do is increase your membership numbers from last year! The deadline for this challenge is April 30, 2019.
Each unit that increase its membership number over last year’s number will receive a certificate and pin acknowledging the accomplishment; and will be entered into a drawing for cash prizes. For every 50 additional members the local unit will receive an additional drawing entry. No need to fill out any forms — just remit your membership dues as you usually do and we’ll count the members in the state office by the end of April.
We will be awarding ten $200 cash prizes to local PTAs.
Ready, Set… Remit!
PTA units that have Membership dues for at least 30 members (through proper channels) into the California State PTA office by October 30 will receive a certificate from California State PTA. No application required! Units remit per capita dues through channels or through the TOTEM electronic membership system for 30 or more members by October 30. Each unit PTA must adhere to the due dates set by their council and/or district PTA. Councils and districts set their own due dates in order to meet the state PTA deadlines. When sending in your remittance to your council and/or district PTA, please allow additional time for them to process and mail checks to the state PTA office. Memberships submitted through the new on-line system (TOTEM) are forward automatically.
MEMBER PERKS: A GREAT SELLING POINT FOR PTA
We know people join PTA to support children and their schools. Be sure to visit the member perks page for additional perks to share with your members.