One of the most important roles of California State PTA is to create and support laws that improve the lives of all California children. Our advocacy goal is to represent, inform and mobilize members and the public to advocate for the education, health, safety and well-being of all children.
REVISED LEGISLATION POLICIES
In April 2017, convention delegates adopted changes to California State PTA’s Legislation Policies in an effort to provide additional clarification to units, councils and districts.
- View updated Legislation Policies in the Online Toolkit
- Download PDFs in English and Spanish
UPDATES ON PTA ACTION
Gov. Jerry Brown released his 2017 – 2018 budget proposal Jan. 10, 2017. California State PTA President Justine Fischer offered insights on behalf of the state’s largest child-advocacy organization. Read the statement.
Robles-Wong vs. California
Oral arguments in Robles-Wong v. California took place in the Court of Appeal in San Francisco on Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. At issue in this case is whether the fundamental right to an education – a right which was articulated by the California Supreme Court more than 45 years ago – requires the State to provide our students an education that gives them an opportunity to succeed in the global economy and to become informed citizens able to participate in civic and social life. As a plaintiff in the case, California State PTA offered a statement.
“California State PTA believes that state funding must be adequate to ensure all children have the opportunity to succeed and that we begin to close the opportunity and achievement gap. We remain optimistic that the court will affirm the state’s obligation to provide an adequate education for California’s students and return the matter to the superior court for trial.”
Volunteers Make a Difference
“Remember, no matter how much fundraising you do, it will never equal the impact of one piece of legislation.” — Shayne Silva, 2015 – 2017 Director of Legislation
PTA volunteer legislative advocates representing the broad scope of the organization closely monitor pending legislation and testify at public hearings to ensure our voice is heard. The advocates include the director of legislation, state advocates, a federal advocate and consultants with specialized skills. They meet with elected officials and policy-makers, speak at meetings of the California Legislature and carefully monitor both state and federal legislation. Advocacy focus areas include education funding and policy, community and school safety, juvenile justice, child care and early education, children’s health and other issues affecting kids and youth.
Volunteer advocates also analyze statewide ballot measures and determine California State PTA’s position, based upon convention resolutions and other PTA authority.
California State PTA Legislation Team:
- Director of Legislation Shayne Silva: email@example.com
- Community Concerns Advocate Shereen Walter: firstname.lastname@example.org
- District President Representative Shelia Anderson: email@example.com
- District President Representative Beverly Berryman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Advocate Carol Kocivar: email@example.com
- Education Advocate Donna Artukovic: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Advocate Cecelia Mansfield: email@example.com
- Family Engagement Advocate Lea Darrah: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Federal Advocate Heidi Brewington: email@example.com
- Health Advocate Kathy Rabun: firstname.lastname@example.org
- State Board of Education Liaison Patty Scripter: email@example.com
- State Initiatives Lead Barbara Inatsugu: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Board Member Ella Smith: email@example.com
For questions or more information about our legislative advocacy program, please contact the Director of Legislation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are several ways you can get involved in our advocacy efforts and help make a difference:
- Get informed and engaged with our Sacramento Update e-newsletter and Legislative Alerts
- Attend our annual Legislation Conference
- Contact your legislators
- Research current legislation
- Learn more about California’s state budget
- See California laws by subject area
- Check out federal legislation and policy information from National PTA
- Review PTA position statements and resolutions
- Read how PTA volunteers are giving the gift of civic engagement.