Save the date for the 2017 Legislation Conference in Sacramento March 13-14, 2017!
Participants Speak from the Heart for Every Child
Advocacy is the heart of PTA, and parents, family members, educators and students from across California were “heart at work” at the State Capitol March 14 and 15 to speak for families, schools and communities.
At our 2016 Legislation Conference, event participants heard the latest news from Capitol leaders on major issues such as the importance of family engagement to student success: a key issue outlined in Assembly Bill 2680 by Assembly Member Susan Bonilla (Concord), which is sponsored by California State PTA.
Advocates also worked to improve the lives of California’s children and families by visiting legislators to share personal stories about the importance of family engagement and to engage for change for schools and communities.
First-time Tenth District PTA attendee Alexandra Navarro (shown here with Thirty-Fourth District PTA’s Tony Johnson) was eager to meet with her legislators to share the importance of Assembly Bill 2680 and family engagement: an issue close to her own heart.
“I’m an engaged parent and I truly understand the importance of AB 2680,” said Navarro, a Native American and Hispanic single mom of a teen with special needs. “I didn’t have anyone to speak for me when I was a child, and now I am speaking up for my child and all children with what PTA has taught me. Every child coming up in the world is worth it!”
As the largest children’s-advocacy organization in the state, California State PTA’s mission is to positively impact the lives of all children and families. PTA volunteers will continue to advocate in the State Capitol throughout the legislative session to ensure the voices of children and families are heard. To find out more about our advocacy activities and get involved, contact your local PTA or visit capta.org for the latest on our state-level efforts.
Thanks to Our Outstanding Speakers
Our 2016 speakers included:
- Assembly Member Susan Bonilla
- Assembly Member Chad Mayes
- Assembly Member Anthony Rendon
- Senator Kevin de Leon
- Senator Jean Fuller
- Legislative Analyst Mac Taylor
- Department of Finance Program Budget Manager Jeff Bell
- California Department of Education Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction Keric Ashley
- Assembly Speaker Deputy Chief of Staff Rick Simpson
- Association of California School Administrators Policy and Governmental Relations Advocate Martha Alvarez
- California School Boards Association Assistant Executive Director of Governmental Relations Dennis Meyers
- California School Boards Association General Counsel Keith Bray
- California Teachers Association Manager of Legislative Relations Lori Easterling
- School Services of California, Inc. Chief Executive Officer Ron Bennett.