2023 LEGISLATION CONFERENCE – OVERVIEW
California State PTA Legislation Conference
March 20-21, 2023 | Sacramento, CA
Thank you to all that attended this year’s Legislation Conference. We hope you enjoyed the opportunity to meet and network with other advocates from across the state interested in learning more about key issues that affect children, youth and families.
Over the conference’s two days, attendees participated in learning activities and heard from legislative leaders, state officials, and experts on issues they care about. They also learn how to advocate directly with their state legislators. This year, the conference included healthy activities (meeting stretches, mindfulness exercises, lunchtime walks, and a step challenge) for attendees from our Health & Community Concerns Commission. Find recaps of the conference on our Facebook and Instagram pages and comments and threads from attendees on our Twitter account.
Below is a list of speakers from this year’s conference. As allowed by our presenters, videos or slides will be available on our Leaders’ Website in late March.
AB 988’s beginnings, purpose and implementation panel with:
- Taun Hall, Miles Hall Foundation
- Gigi Crowder, Executive Director, NAMI Contra Costa
- San Ramon Police Chief Denton Carlson
- San Ramon Deputy Fire Chief Jonas Aguiar
- Moderator: Assemblymember Rebecca Bauer-Kahan
Early childhood and K12 mental health panel with:
- Maureen Schroeder – School Psychologist, Elk Grove Unified School District and CASP’s Past President
- Lezya Weglarz – School Counselor, MTSS Program Coordinator for the San Marcos School District and CASC President-Elect
- Cristina Dobon-Claveau – School Social Worker, Roseville Unified and CASSW Director
- Jackie Wong – First 5 California
Panel discussion: Advocacy Hacks from the Experts
- Cheryl Ide, Legislative Advocate, California School Boards Association (CSBA)
- Elizabeth Esquivel, Assistant Executive Director, Governmental Relations, California Association of School Business Officials (CASBO)
- Sara Bachez, Deputy Director, External & Governmental Affairs, First 5 California
Panel discussion of the budget overview featuring:
- Kevin Gordon, President and a partner Capitol Advisors
- Michelle McKay Underwood – School Services, Vice President
Presentations and Q&A with:
- Dr. Linda Darling-Hammond, President, California State Board of Education
- Kenneth Kappahn, Legislative Analyst’s Office
- Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond
- Assemblymember Mia Bonta
- Assemblymember Alex Lee
- Assemblymember Al Muratsuchi
- Senator John Laird
THANK YOU TO OUR 2023 SPONSORS
WHAT ATTENDEES SAY ABOUT IT
“The Leg Conference is a super well-organized, well-designed conference to onboard new volunteers. You will get the most out of a very short 2-day conference. Friendship alone is well worth the effort. Meeting and networking with like-minded volunteers and being able to speak on our children’s behalf was a bonus. If you have attended this conference, you know what I am talking about. If you have never attended this conference — well, you are missing out! Go! Get yourself approved by your local PTA to attend. You won’t regret it!”
Jade Chao, Immediate Past President,
Palo Alto Council of PTAs
LOOK BACK AT LEG CON 2021
Please click here to read our blog post about what we accomplished at Leg Con 2021.
For detailed information just for PTA Leaders on this topic, visit the Leaders’ Website.
Leaders Website Login