Back in late July and early August we held a few Membership Idea Exchange Zoom calls. We were so excited to be joined by PTA leaders across the state — sharing their ideas and some of their struggles.
We took notes from each of the calls and here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Building a Better Community
- Stronger Together
- I Matter Because (tie in to Reflections)
- Set Sail with the PTA- Pirate themed with bandanas or masks as membership incentives
- Include a PTA membership as part of a spirit pack
- Have the school mascot or a cool animal (like a llama) attend the Zoom meeting of the class who gets the most memberships.
- Look at your membership list from last year and make sure you are asking those families to join again this year.
- Every person who purchases a membership gets a coupon for a discount on spirit wear or other school event.
- Share the why– make sure you are letting families know all that your PTA does for the school and community.
- Ask your principal to include PTA membership on their weekly calls and/or their newsletter.
- Have a contest to see who can get a member from furthest away– this is much easier if you are using Totem!
- Remind families that everyone can join– grandparents, siblings, friends, neighbors. To that end, add lines onto your membership forms with those titles so they don’t forget.
- Use your social media to advertise your membership drive.
- Ask school board members, superintendents, and other school district personnel to join the PTA.
- Create a “Join PTA” slide that the teachers can use when they are doing parent presentations.
- Remind families that membership doesn’t necessarily equal volunteering, but it does equal supporting our kids!
Farragut Drive Elementary School created a really fun video to encourage their parents to be in the Zoom Where It Happens. Check it out here:
We hope you will use these tips to have an amazing membership drive.
As always if you need us, we are an email away– email@example.com.
Click here to return to the blog homepage.