Quality public education is crucially important to individual families and the future of our society as a whole. California State PTA is committed to connecting families and schools by providing a range of information, resources and training to empower parents to actively participate at all levels of decision-making: from the school site to local school boards, to state and federal government bodies. When parents and families understand how the school system works, it makes education more effective and responsive for students. That’s why California State PTA has an Education Commission.
The California State PTA Education Commission — composed of volunteers from across the state — works to inform parents and families about issues impacting their child’s education. We also serve on several statewide education policy groups to weigh in on K-12 education initiatives. Some of our work includes:
- Reviewing position statements and resolutions which provide a source of authority for PTA positions or action on legislation.
- Serving as a member of California’s Education Coalition that brings together major statewide associations representing teachers, administrators, superintendents, and school employees who work together on state-budget and school-funding issues.
- Participating in quarterly Assessment Stakeholder groups.
- Participating in the California State PTA Legislative Action Committee that monitors education legislation.
- Attending the California State Board of Education (SBE) meetings to support laws and policies that improve the lives of all California children.
- Developing workshops and training opportunities for PTA leaders and parents at the California State PTA Annual Convention, regional training, and other events.
- Attending conferences such as the K-12 Water cooler Conference, STEAM Symposium, and the EdTrust West Equity Conference to engage with leading experts in a variety of fields impacting education.
All of these efforts mean you have the reassurance that the parent voice — your voice — was part of the decision-making process at the highest level. It also means you have access to accurate, relevant, and trustworthy information that is readily available on the California State PTA website.
The Education Commission for the 2021-23 term consists of the Vice President and eight members of the California State PTA Board of Managers (three of whom also serve as PTA District Presidents) — all bringing a wealth of personal and professional backgrounds and experiences to the commission.
We are focused on providing current streamlined information, developing resources PTA units can use to inform their members, and sharing updates and news about crucial education issues in California including:
- Learning Loss/Accelerated Learning
- Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum
- Equitable Access to Technology
- Student Attendance
- Teacher and Staff Shortages
- Social-Emotional Learning (skills such as self-discipline, how to navigate social situations, how to empathize with others, etc.)
- Student Mental Wellness in partnership with the Health & Community Concerns Commission
We invite you to share what education topics are on your mind and what you would like to know more about. Your comments and feedback are always welcome and appreciated. Feel free to reach out to email@example.com.