Securing adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth is one of the purposes of California State PTA.
Any unit, council or district PTA may recommend action on legislation to California State PTA’s Board of Managers.
Status of Current Legislation by Subject Area
Review the complete status and calendar reports of current legislation being followed by California State PTA, organized by subject area:
Search for Legislation
ELECTION VICTORIES FOR CALIFORNIA KIDS
Voters Pass Statewide Initiatives Supported by California State PTA
On November 8, Californians adopted Proposition 55 and other important initiatives to support student success and safety. California State PTA President Justine Fischer offered the following statement on Election Day results:
“California kids don’t get a do-over — that’s why California State PTA strongly supported Proposition 55 to help our kids and schools thrive. With our public schools and community colleges still recovering from years of recession, we’re thrilled that California parents, families and friends have made their voices heard to help our children’s success — and our state’s future.
“We’re also pleased voters adopted Proposition 51 to support school construction and modernization, Proposition 56 to fund health programs and reduce teen smoking rates through taxes on tobacco and related products, Proposition 58 to allow parents to choose the best language-based education programs for their own children and Proposition 63 to implement common-sense changes to gun and ammunition acquisition.
“PTA advocates for the education, safety and health of all children, youth and families. California State PTA takes positions on initiatives based on authorities and priorities determined by its members. While Election Day may be over, our work for children, families and communities never is.”
- PTA Support on State Ballot Initiatives
- Elections Do’s and Don’ts
- Campaign Reporting Laws for Local PTAs
- The California Channel — Coverage of legislative committees and political activities in Sacramento
- Committee Hearing Schedules — Committee hearing schedules of the California Legislature
- Floor Hearing Schedules — Floor hearing schedules of the California Legislature
- California’s State Budget — Infographic from the the LAO office
- California Law by Subject — The State of California’s official database of current California law.