PARENTS’ GUIDE TO ARTS EDUCATION IN CALIFORNIA PUBLIC SCHOOLS
California State PTA in partnership with Create CA is pleased to launch the newly revised Parents’ Guide to Arts Education in California Public Schools. This guide provides an overview of what your child will learn in the arts disciplines of dance, music, theatre and the visual arts by the end of each grade level.
By asking about the arts program at your child’s school, you are showing your interest in all students, not just the “talented,” having the opportunity to express their unique individuality through creating and learning in and through the arts.
The information is grouped into four sections:
- Grades Pre-K-2: English Spanish Chinese
- Grades 3-5: English Spanish Chinese
- Grades 6-8: English Spanish Chinese
- Grades 9-12: English Spanish Chinese
Download the full guide here:
- A snapshot of your child as they experience the arts in their classroom at each grade level.
- A few key examples of what is typically taught in dance, music, theatre and the visual arts at each grade level to use as a starting point in talking to
your child’s teacher.
- Questions to ask the teacher about your child’s progress in arts learning and about the school’s arts program.
- Ideas for what you can do to help your child learn in the arts at school, at home and in the community.
- If you are interested in expanding or improving the visual and performing arts program at your child’s school, key resources for getting started are provided.
The arts learning examples in this guide are based on the Visual and Performing Arts Framework for California Public Schools, the California Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards and the National Core Arts Standards. While standards in every subject area are revised over the years, if your child is being provided with the type of arts content suggested here in each grade, he or she will be well prepared for learning in the arts in each grade level.
“California State PTA is excited to provide this arts curriculum guide for parents and education advocates across California. In partnership with CREATE CA, California State PTA has put together a simple, easy-to-read guide of the Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Standards by grade level. This guide, in conjunction
with the California Arts Education Data Project, will give parents and education advocates a snapshot of how a full arts curriculum advances student success socially, emotionally and academically.” – Celia Jaffe, President, California State PTA