As thousands of families are now learning from and working from home, things have changed in all of our daily lives. California State PTA always prioritizes the health and safety of our children, families and communities.
Here are a few things to keep in mind during this time of social distancing. Remember, children take their cues from the adults around them, so it is important to remain calm and talk to children about what is going on in an age appropriate way. Children become anxious when the adults around them are anxious. Experts say children feel better when they have some control over what is going on.
Spending some time outside running, walking or bike riding is a good way to get fresh air.
Most school districts are providing free meals for children. Check your school/school district website for information on how to pick up the meals. There are also some classes and lessons online.
Here are some other resources that are fun and helpful. (Please note that these links take you to websites that are neither run by nor endorsed by California State PTA.)
Learning from home sites:
- Scholastic – Learn at Home
- Storyline Online
- National Geographic Kids
- Wisconsin Educational Communications Board
- Highlights Kids
- Imagineering in a Box from Khan Academy
- Code Academy
Take a virtual field trip:
- Museums with Virtual Tours – Travel & Leisure
- Virtual Museum Tours with Metroplex Social
- 20 Virtual Field Trips to Take With Your Kids
- 33 National Park Tours You Can Take From the Comfort of Your Home
- San Diego Zoo
- Yellowstone National Park tour
- Planet Mars 360-degree tour
- Monterey Bay Aquarium live animal cameras
- Atlanta Zoo panda cam
- Houston Zoo webcams
- Georgia Aquarium beluga whale cam
- Farm Tours from FarmFood360
- Experience Polar Bears on the Tundra
- Great Wall of China
- Boston Children’s Museum Virtual Tour
- Google Museum Collections
- 30 Virtual Field Trips
Podcasts for elementary, middle and high school students:
Free downloadable educational coloring pages:
We would love your suggestions for things to add to this list! Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.