Each issue of PTA in California brings a wealth of news and information to PTA leaders and members. 2023 Convention Highlights is coming soon.
We hope you enjoy the February 2023 edition of PTA in California. As you read through this issue of PTA in California, you will be impressed by the great work PTA members have done on behalf of all children for more than 125 years. You are part of this legacy and continue its work today.
What you’ll find inside:
- Founders’ Day Timeline
- Celebrate Black History Month by Celebrating Selena Sloan Butler
- Tips for a Successful PTA Leadership Transition
- Take advantage of Member Perks
- And more!
Download a PDF here in English or read PTA in California in Spanish
View PTA in California Archives
Get engaged on issues that matter most to you with PTA Connects. Click the links below to stay connected with past issues.
2023 – 2024
2022 – 2023
2021 – 2022
2020 – 2021
View the PTA Connects Archives
Every Monday from mid-July through September be on the lookout for Membership Monday. It picks up again from January through February to bring you all you need to know in Mid-Year Membership Monday.
This membership-focused newsletter is sent to all unit, council and district membership chairs, communications officers and presidents. Click the links below for tips, advice and information to grow your PTA membership.
ARCHIVES (FOR REFERENCE ONLY)
- July 23, 2018: Kick-start your PTA membership
- July 30, 2018: Three things parents need to know
- August 6, 2018: Staying involved in your child’s education
- August 13, 2018: Getting students to participate in PTA
- August 20, 2018: Why PTA?
- August 27, 2018: Keep families informed and engaged
- September 3, 2018: Marketing your PTA online
- September 10, 2018: New marketing strategies for your PTA
- September 17, 2018: Best practices and membership perks
- January 7, 2019: Membership Mondays are back!
- January 14, 2019: Learning from other PTA leaders
- January 21, 2019: Diversity strengthens all PTAs
- January 28, 2019: Membership and advocacy working together
- February 4, 2019: Easy ways to promote membership
- February 11, 2019: Founders’ Day resources
FINANCIAL INFORMATION & RESOURCES FOR YOUR PTA
Every year California State PTA compiles a packet of financial information and resources to help your PTA run the financial side of your organization. Typically, PTA presidents receive the Financial Mailing in the fall and all PTA officers can view and download the packet from the California State PTA Leaders’ website.
Go to the Leaders’ Website to download the contents from the most recent Financial Mailing.
View the Leaders’ Website
Most of the materials in the Financial Mailing are available in both English and Spanish. They include:
- Important Dates
- PTA Insurance Premium Invoice/Notice
- Tax Filing Support Center Information
- Financial Filing Requirements for Tax-Exempt Groups Including PTAs
- State of California Attorney General’s Tips and Resources for Charities
- Workers’ Compensation Annual Payroll Report (Instructions only)
- PTA as an Employer – What You Need to Know
- The PTA Insurance Guide
- Much more!.
The PTA insurance policy protects all members of the PTA in case they are held legally liable for bodily injury or property damage to another person that resulted from a covered PTA event. This is not a medical policy, but a policy that pays because you are legally liable.
If someone is injured, but the injury is not the result of PTA negligence, the individual should utilize his/her medical insurance for coverage. The policy is designed to cover allowable PTA events. Our PTA insurance does not provide any coverage for booster clubs, parent clubs or any non-PTA event. It is critical that before planning any PTA activities the RED, YELLOW and GREEN list included in the insurance guide be reviewed. Certain activities and events are prohibited because they are excluded by the insurance policy or because they are dangerous or jeopardize the safety of our children and youth. If the PTA sponsors a RED event and someone is injured because of PTA negligence, the individual PTA officers could be held personally liable.
Check the Insurance services page for additional information.
Greetings PTA Leader!
I want to be one of the first to welcome you to the 2023 PTA Term. Thank you so much for stepping into this important role in your PTA. I know that this year is going to be full of wonderful programs and activities for your community to enjoy because of the hard work of you, your executive board, and the rest of your PTA volunteers.
As a local PTA leader, your dedication and hard work are what make PTA such a powerful force for good in our schools and communities. But PTA isn’t just about the events and activities, it’s also about the small, everyday actions that you take as a leader. It’s about taking the time to listen to the concerns and needs of your members and finding creative solutions to the challenges you face. It’s about making sure that every voice is heard and that everyone feels valued and included in the work of the PTA.
To help make your job easier, this Leader Welcome Packet is filled with resources for you and your PTA team.
- Share the resources with your board and committee members
- Download and share extra copies of anything you need from our website and use the many QR codes and links found in the online version of the packet
- Check the PTA calendar on the website often to learn about new and exciting events and opportunities from California State PTA
- Stay connected to your council and district leaders so you don’t miss out on local and regional opportunities for training or other programs
- Visit the California State PTA Leaders’ site which is full of information just for you and your executive board team
As we begin this year, my job and the role of California State PTA board members is to support you, our local leaders, to be the best leaders you can be. We will provide you with the resources and materials to make your job easier, try to simplify processes, and hopefully inspire you to “positively impact the lives of all children and families.” If you have suggestions for us, please let us know – you can find our contact information on our website.
I want to thank you for your dedication to the PTA and the children and families of California.
Working together we truly can make a difference every day with PTA!
You can view or download all materials in the full “Leaders Welcome Packet,” “Running Your PTA … Made Easy,” and the “2023 Convention Highlights,” on the Leaders’ Website.
Login to the Leaders website to view and download these documents.