The Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) offers historic opportunities for school districts to set new, locally-driven priorities aimed at improving outcomes for students who are often underserved in public schools. Arts education aligns with LCFF goals and contributes to a set of unique skills and outcomes that are shown to help students succeed in school and in life.
In the coming weeks and months, districts will be updating their Local Control Accountability Plans (LCAP) to determine priorities and funding for the coming years. The California Alliance for Arts Education in partnership with Arts for LA and LA County’s Arts for All has created a set of materials and trainings to empower advocates to contribute to these important conversations, educating officials about the benefits of arts education. Here are helpful advocacy materials courtesy of the California Alliance for Arts Education, of which California State PTA is a member:
- Arts Education Strategies in California LCAPs
- 5 Examples of Arts Education in District LCAPs
- Customizable Powerpoint for 3-minute school board presentations
- Script for 3-minute school board presentation
- Leave behind flyer for school board presentation
- En Espanol: Leave behind flyer for school board presentation
- Sample Letter to Local School Board, Example of personalized letter
- LCAP Template: Arts for LA, Arts for All and the California Alliance for Arts Education collaborated to develop an LCAP template that offers concrete examples of how districts can implement arts education strategies to improve student outcomes.
For more information and materials, visit the California Alliance for Arts Education’s LCFF Toolkit.