Celebrate National PTA Teacher Appreciation Week the first full week of May and California Day of the Teacher, the second Wednesday in May.
WHAT IS TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK?
Teacher Appreciation Week, celebrated May 7-11, 2018, offers the opportunity for citizens to reaffirm their commitment to parent-teacher partnerships. The decision to teach often comes with low-to-moderate pay and around-the-clock hours. Support from families can ease the difficult work teachers do. PTA Teacher Appreciation Week is the perfect time to personally thank your students’ teachers for their sacrifices and support for children throughout the year. While appreciation alone will not reduce the challenges teachers face, it will let them know their efforts are not going unnoticed.
APPRECIATION IDEAS FOR STUDENTS, FAMILIES AND PTAS
- Create and display posters, banners, and fliers in schools and in the community promoting Teacher Appreciation Week and the California Day of the Teacher
- Discuss ways to honor teachers with students in your PTSA and work together
- Brainstorm with your school principal about significant ways to honor the staff through the year
- Contact area merchants, business and community groups to invite their participation
- Plant a tree or flowers on the school property
- Bring bouquets to school
- Provide a nutritious brunch
- Wash cars or windshields
- Give teachers positive feedback on their teaching by sending a thank-you note
- Design a resource file for your school that includes names of parents and family members who are willing to use their expertise to assist teachers on projects and activities
- Publish proclamations in the PTA newsletter and post them in the school
- Request that your mayor or county board of supervisors issue a proclamation in observance of Teacher Appreciation Week or California Day of the Teacher
- Coordinate an event for teachers sponsored by community organizations and invite press and media coverage
- Call in to radio talk shows early and tell the host or hostess what your PTA is doing for teacher appreciation.
- Think about beginning a year-long project to tell your teachers how important they are.
See more ideas from National PTA.
A SAMPLE PROCLAMATION FOR TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK OR DAY
Whereas, a strong, effective system of free public education for all children and youth is essential to our democratic system of government; and
Whereas, the United States and the State of California has made considerable progress in the social, technological and scientific fields due to our system of free and universal public education; and
Whereas, much of this progress can be attributed to the qualified and dedicated teachers entrusted with the educational development of our children; and
Whereas, teachers should be accorded high public esteem, reflecting the value the community places on public education; and
Whereas, PTA is keenly aware of the importance of teachers in children’s reaching their full potential; and
Whereas, it is appropriate that teachers be recognized for their dedication and commitment to educating our children;
Now, therefore, I, <name of official/s>, <mayor/governor/city council/school board> of the <city/state> of <name of city/state>, do hereby proclaim <date>, as PTA Teacher Appreciation Week in <name of city/state> and urge all citizens to pay tribute to our public school teachers.