AB 58 (Salas)
by Vinita Verma, California State PTA Health Advocate
California State PTA has taken a support position on Pupil health: suicide prevention policies and training.
The California State PTA has a strong advocacy goal of improving pupil mental health. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), “suicide is the fourth leading cause of death in 15-29 year-olds.” A WHO report states that “by 2030, depression will be the leading cause of disease burden globally.” We are in a state of emergency for the mental health of our children.
AB 58 (Salas) will give communities the needed tools to address this mental health crisis. It will also require school districts to review and update their policy on suicide prevention and revise their training materials to incorporate best practices on suicide prevention.
California State PTA has multiple authorities which strongly support this bill:
- Mental Health Services for Our Children and Youth (2020)Mental Illness: Treatment and Support (1999)
- Legislation Planks:
- to support all students with quality counseling and guidance services, school health services both mental and physical, and library services, provided by credentialed personnel
- to protect and improve the health of all families through the prevention, treatment, and control of the disease;
- to extend and improve physical and mental health services and facilities, including rehabilitation.
- Advocacy Goal:
- promote physical and mental wellness beginning in early childhood.
California State PTA strongly believes in ensuring that all California children and families receive holistic mental health support services for their robust health, growth, and education.