The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee of California State PTA is excited to host three Zoom “listening sessions” in January 2021 around race, racism and PTA.
We want to hear from our members of color, in order for our organization to begin to improve the PTA experience. We aim to listen to your authentic voices to help guide us in making all our members feel included, valued, and respected.
We acknowledge that our members experience PTA differently because of different aspects of their identity, so each listening session is aimed at a different racial/ethnic identity group. Each session will be a safe, confidential space for members of that particular group to honestly share, without the burden of code-switching* while participating.
- January 25, 6:00-7:00 pm: For Black/African American/multi-racial Black persons, facilitated by a Black/African American person.
- January 26, 6:00-7:00 pm: For those Indigenous to California lands or multi-racial Indigenous, facilitated by a person Indigenous to California.
- January 28, 6:00-7:00 pm: For non-Indigenous, non-Black persons of color or non-Black non-Indigenous multi-racial persons, facilitated by a non-Indigenous, non-Black person of color.
* Code-switching is the practice of changing the way you speak or act in order to fit in with the dominant cultural group
Each session will be recorded and PTA leaders will listen to them afterward for learning purposes, but we will not divulge any personal information from any session.
Click here to read a document which explains in further detail the why and how of the listening sessions.
Who Should Participate
We are looking for both unit board members and unit non-board members, as well as council/district representatives; at least half of the participant group will be unit-level members who have not participated at the council or above levels, and at least a quarter will be unit non-board members.
We are also looking for regional representation, elementary and secondary representation, urban/rural/suburban representation, Title 1 and non Title 1 schools and districts, white-passing/non white-passing.
How to Participate
Interested persons should contact Marilyn Cachola Lucey in one of the following ways:
- Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By text message to 925-708-5030
- By phone call (please leave a message) to 925-708-5030
There is no specific application, but we do need the following from potential participants:
- The name under which your PTA membership can be verified
- Your email or phone number
- Your self-identified race and self-identified gender
- How many children you have in elementary/secondary school
- Whether you are from an urban, rural or suburban community
- Whether your school/school district is Title 1 or not Title 1
- Whether you are a unit board member, a unit non-board member, or a council/district/state board member
- Whether you are white-passing or non white-passing
Interest will be taken on a rolling basis; additional listening sessions for additional identity groups will be organized contingent on approval of PTA leadership.