California State PTA “Calls Out” Federal Lawmakers to Protect Children
February 23, 2018
- Brad Waller, Vice President for Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michelle Eklund, Assistant Executive Director, email@example.com or (916) 440-1985
California State PTA President Dianna MacDonald issued the following statement:
“Our hearts break for the victims who lost their lives in the senseless tragedy earlier this month in Parkland, Florida. There are no excuses that are good enough. The time for change is now. We need to put politics aside and turn emotion into action.
“Gun violence is a public-health crisis that affects us all – most of all, our children and youth. And, it’s preventable.
“For more than a century, California State PTA has advocated for safer schools by supporting legislation on gun restrictions in California. We now have some of the strictest gun laws in the nation. Yet, our children are still vulnerable.
“We’ve heard the voices of our members – the hundreds of thousands of parents, teachers, students, administrators and community members who care about our kids – and they are outraged and asking California State PTA to act. But we can’t do this alone. We need the power of our PTA members to create and support change.
“We need each and every one of you to take action to end gun violence. #CallOut your federal legislator on March 14 and demand real change. #NoMore.”
On March 14, students across the country are planning to “walk out” to make their voices heard. California State PTA is asking for your help to “call out” our federal legislators and demand action.
Stand together with the voices of students and call your federal legislators on March 14 to demand stronger gun-violence prevention legislation including:
- Prohibiting the sale and possession of assault weapons including automatic and semi-automatic weapons
- Mandatory background checks
- Waiting periods for all firearm purchases.
Student Participation in Public Demonstrations
While California State PTA supports the rights of students to express their beliefs on campus through organized demonstrations, care must be taken to ensure that the orderly operation of the school is not disrupted and the physical safety of students is not threatened. Leaving during school hours to attend an off-campus demonstration places the student outside the safety zone of the school and unnecessarily jeopardizes that school’s education funding.
We entrust our students to our school leadership to ensure a safe environment for our students’ voices to be heard. Be sure to talk with your local school district about possible student demonstrations that may affect your school or community.
Update as of March 6, 2018
Fringe news outlets have recently published stories incorrectly stating California State PTA’s positions on gun-violence prevention efforts and student demonstrations. California PTA is not organizing any marches or student walkouts.
Gun violence is a public-health crisis that affects us all – most of all, our children and youth. And, it’s preventable. California State PTA will be addressing gun violence, school safety and mental health issues with federal lawmakers in Washington D.C. on March 13-15 during the 2018 National PTA Legislation Conference. We are also asking for your help to “call out” your federal legislators to demand stronger gun-violence prevention legislation. View the action alert.
California State PTA supports the rights of students to express themselves on campus through organized demonstrations, but believes that care must be taken to ensure the orderly operation of the school is not disrupted and the physical safety of students is not threatened. Leaving during school hours to attend an off-campus demonstration places the student outside the safety zone of the school and unnecessarily jeopardizes that school’s education funding. We are aware of several student demonstrations scheduled in the coming days and weeks and have provided guidance for local PTAs that wish to support student voices. View guidance information.
- California State PTA Position Statement “Firearms and Assault Weapons”
- California State PTA Position Statement “Student Participation in Public Demonstrations”
- National PTA Position Statement “Gun Safety and Violence Prevention”
- Checklist to Prevent Violence in Schools
- National PTA FAQs on Gun Violence
- National PTA Press Statement
- Talking Points for PTAs – Gun Violence and Student Voice
- Proposition 63 “The Safety for All Act of 2016” Support Full Analysis
- Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) – Responding to Student Demonstrations
- Understanding Youth Violence Fact Sheet
- Youth Violence Facts-at-a-Glance
- Understanding School Violence Fact Sheet