Recognize student artwork through the PTA Reflections Art Program.
In this section, you’ll find the tools and resources you need to organize a Reflections Art Program at your school.
IS YOUR PTA READY FOR REFLECTIONS?
Getting ready for Reflections includes activities such as publicizing the program, setting a due date to collect student artwork, selecting a judging panel and planning a recognition event for student participants. The 2021-2022 theme is “I Will Change the World By…”
To get started, appoint a Reflections chairman along with four or five committee members to help put together the Reflections Art Program at your school.
Meet to review the resources such as theme, rules for each category and materials on the Reflections Program.
Brainstorm ideas for a Reflections kick off, student art display, judging panel, community sponsors and an awards ceremony.
Delegate different aspects for running a successful program to your committee members to:
- Develop a Reflections Program timeline and calendar using council and district PTA due dates as well as your school site’s master calendar
- Submit a Reflections Program budget to your PTA board and association for approval
- Promote the Reflections Program to your principal and teachers to encourage their buy-in, support and involvement
- Publicize the program including the annual theme and due dates for students, parents, teachers and community members in newsletters, on campus and on your school website
- Select an impartial and qualified panel of judges to assess student artwork
- Enlist the support of local businesses for supplies and student awards
- Arrange to collect student artwork on your publicized due date
- Plan a Reflections Award event to recognize each student participant
- Prepare certificates and order awards for student participants
- Recruit volunteers to help with hospitality, set up and clean up at your Reflections Award event.
For more information to aid your PTA in establishing a successful Reflections Program, watch this training from the 2021 CA State PTA Convention or download the slides to share the presentation with your local unit, council, or district.
IMPORTANT REFLECTIONS DATES
Local entry submission due dates vary depending on where you live. Please reach out to your PTA unit, council and district to inquire about your local due dates.
- If you are a STUDENT – Contact your School Reflections chairman for your school submission date. We recommend having submissions in by October 15, 2022.
- If you are a SCHOOL REFLECTIONS CHAIRMAN:
- In a PTA Council school – Contact your PTA Council Reflections chairman for your PTA Council submission date.
- In an Out-of-Council PTA school – Contact your PTA District Reflections chairman for your PTA District submission date.
- The recommended date to receive final submissions at the council level is November 1, 2022.
- If you are a PTA COUNCIL REFLECTIONS CHAIRMAN – Contact your PTA District Reflections chairman for your PTA District submission date. For ample time allowed to judge the submissions, we recommend submitting all pieces by December 1, 2022.
- If you are a PTA DISTRICT REFLECTIONS CHAIRMAN and ONLY if you are a PTA District chairman, your State PTA submission dates are:
- January 11, 2022 — PTA district entry submission spreadsheet due to California State PTA by 5:00 p.m. Email to email@example.com.
- January 12, 2022 — PTA District Award of Excellence physical entries due to California State PTA state office from PTA Districts by 5:00 p.m. Mail to: California State PTA, Attn: Reflections, 2327 L Street, Sacramento, CA 95816.
AFTER YOUR REFLECTIONS EVENT
Plan to follow up after your Reflections Awards event by delegating committee members and volunteers to help complete activities such as:
- Preparing cards or letters of congratulations to send to student participants
- Writing thank-you notes to those involved in your program including judges, teachers, volunteers and sponsors
- Sending student entries selected to represent your PTA to your local council/district PTA by their local due date for the next level of judging
- Returning entries to students whose artwork was not selected for the next level of judging
- Publicizing the new Reflections theme soon after it’s announced at the annual California State PTA convention
- Publicizing any Reflections awards given to local students at other levels of judging
- Updating your Reflections Art Program procedure book so your committee doesn’t need to reinvent the wheel next year.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR PTA COMMITTEES
- Enroll your PTA in the 2021-2022 National PTA Reflections Program for your free digital Reflections kit.
- Student Entry Packet including entry form and rules, available in English and Spanish
- Guides for Local Leaders in English and Spanish
- Reflections logos, flyers and other promotional tools
- Materials for PTAs
ANNUAL THEME SEARCH
Each year, students are invited to submit themes for the annual Reflections Art Program that will inspire young artists to create original works.
Submit your Theme search entries between September 1, 2021 and November 1, 2021.
The 2022-23 finalists sent to National PTA judging were:
California State PTA Finalists:
A SINGLE ACT OF KINDNESS
Submitted by Shreya Srinivas, 10th Grade
Peralta District PTA
COVID 2020: A TIME FOR REFLECTION, FAMILY, LIFE . . . THINGS THAT MATTER
Submitted by Ayush Garg, 6th Grade
Sixth District PTA
FRIENDSHIP IS . . .
Submitted by Leianna Mendoza, 4th Grade
First District PTA
I AM PROUD OF . . .
Submitted by Agustin Reyes, 11th Grade
First District PTA
Submitted by Juliana Laciura, 6th Grade
Fourth District PTA
GRANTS FOR THE ARTS AVAILABLE
Building on the decades-long arts legacy of past Colorado State PTA President Mary Lou Anderson, who established the Reflections Art Program, National PTA awards grants of up to $1,000 so local PTAs can take arts education to the next level — especially for at-risk kids. Find out how your PTA can qualify.
So let the Reflections Art Program — and the arts — be a part of your kids’ lives! For more information on participating, or to get Reflections and other arts programs started or funded at your school, contact your local PTA, and check out the resources on our Arts Education page.