Recognize student artwork through the PTA Reflections Art Program. In this section, you’ll find the tools and resources you need to organize a Reflections Art Program at your school.
IS YOUR PTA READY FOR REFLECTIONS?
Getting ready for Reflections includes activities such as publicizing the program, setting a due date to collect student artwork, selecting a judging panel and planning a recognition event for student participants. The 2018-2019 theme is “Heroes Around Me.”
To get started, appoint a Reflections chairman along with four or five committee members to help put together the Reflections Art Program at your school.
Meet to review the resources such as theme, rules for each category and materials on the Reflections Program.
Brainstorm ideas for a Reflections kick off, student art display, judging panel, community sponsors and an awards ceremony.
Delegate different aspects for running a successful program to your committee members to:
- Develop a Reflections Program timeline and calendar using council and district PTA due dates as well as your school site’s master calendar
- Submit a Reflections Program budget to your PTA board and association for approval
- Promote the Reflections Program to your principal and teachers to encourage their buy-in, support and involvement
- Publicize the program including the annual theme and due dates for students, parents, teachers and community members in newsletters, on campus and on your school website
- Select an impartial and qualified panel of judges to assess student artwork
- Enlist the support of local businesses for supplies and student awards
- Arrange to collect student artwork on your publicized due date
- Plan a Reflections Award event to recognize each student participant
- Prepare certificates and order awards for student participants
- Recruit volunteers to help with hospitality, set up and clean up at your Reflections Award event.
IMPORTANT REFLECTIONS DATES
Local due dates vary depending on where you live. Please reach out to your PTA council and district to inquire about your local due dates.
- November 1, 2018 — Theme search entries due.
- January 15, 2019 — PTA district entry submission spreadsheet due to California State PTA by 5 p.m. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- January 16, 2019 — PTA District Award of Excellence physical entries due to California State PTA from PTA Districts by 5 p.m. Mail to: California State PTA, Attn: Reflections, 2327 L Street, Sacramento, CA 95816.
AFTER YOUR REFLECTIONS EVENT
Plan to follow up after your Reflections Awards event by delegating committee members and volunteers to help complete activities such as:
- Preparing cards or letters of congratulations to send to student participants
- Writing thank-you notes to those involved in your program including judges, teachers, volunteers and sponsors
- Sending student entries selected to represent your PTA to your local council/district PTA by their local due date for the next level of judging
- Returning entries to students whose artwork was not selected for the next level of judging
- Publicizing the new Reflections theme soon after it’s announced at the annual California State PTA convention
- Publicizing any Reflections awards given to local students at other levels of judging
- Updating your Reflections Art Program procedure book so your committee doesn’t need to reinvent the wheel next year.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR PTA COMMITTEES
- Local Leader Guide – available in English and Spanish
- General rules and guidelines
- Theme search information
- Fliers and promotional materials