General Description: The Communications Manager is an exempt position and reports to the Executive Director. This position works collaboratively with the elected Vice President for Communications and the President on the association’s communications strategy. The Communications Manager oversees staff and manages the association’s daily communications operations, including editing and writing a range of materials for PTA members and the public, working with the media, and initiating and implementing public relations marketing, and outreach plans. This position regularly supports projects from across all areas of the organization.
Classification: This position is classified on the exempt salary schedule as a Program Manager.
Hiring Salary Range: $64,480 to $70,000
Hours and Location: Full-time position, flexible hours. Hybrid option available.
Writing, Editing, and Design
- Implements communications strategy by writing key messages, marketing materials, and other materials
- Editor of premiere magazine publication, PTA in California
- Coordinates the production and design of a wide variety of print and digital publications
- Provides editorial support, ensuring accuracy, consistency of tone, style and quality, and grammatical correctness
- Manages the organization’s website content and design, ensuring it is complete, current, accurate, grammatically correct, and consistent in tone, style, and quality
- Partnering with board members to ensure consistent visual identity and design throughout all PTA channels
- Directs the translation of PTA publications as needed
Media and Public Relations
- Initiates and implements strategies to generate media coverage that enhances the organization’s positive visibility and advances its positions and priorities
- Collaborates on the creation of press releases, press statements, and key messages
- Plans media activities, including press conferences
Marketing and Outreach
- Identifies and implements opportunities across all channels to:
- Promote the value of PTA membership, advocacy, and family engagement
- Strengthen member engagement
- Communicate with multiple differentiated audiences, including non-native English-speakers
- Utilizes analytics to evaluate and measure communications strategy effectiveness
- Develops and implements strategies to promote the PTA brand, programs, and events
This position may supervise communications staff and interns. This position regularly collaborates with outside consultants and vendors. This position also performs other duties as assigned.
Attends meetings and events as assigned.
Working conditions/Physical demands
May be required to travel. Occasional weekend and evening availability required. Sit for extended periods.
- Five to seven years of communications-related experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Understanding of and commitment to the organization’s mission, goals, and policies
- Knowledge of strategic communications principles
- Excellent editing and writing skills
- Demonstrated experience writing for differentiated audiences
- Ability to collaborate with people with diverse skill sets
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Proactive, creative, collaborative, and flexible
- Strong computer skills and Word Press experience
- Experience working with the media, media relations, or public relations
- Experience working in a non-profit, advocacy, or membership organization
- Experience with email marketing messaging
- Experience with graphic design software
- Familiarity with database systems such as Zoho Creator
- Experience with Google Ad grants and analytics measurements
- HTML knowledge
- Experience supervising staff
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Jessica Barker at email@example.com.