PTA Leaders



Leadership Made Easy Homepage

Financial Filing Requirements

All nonprofits, including PTAs, must file annual tax returns.

California State PTA is committed to providing information to help make your PTA aware of the latest state and federal requirements. Federal and state laws require nonprofit groups, including PTAs, to file informational tax returns each year.

Below is a list of the filing requirements as they relate to PTAs for the federal IRS Form 990 Series, the State of California Franchise Tax Board Form 199 Series and Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Trusts RRF-1 and (new) CT-TR-1 Forms.

Please visit the California State PTA Tax Filing Support Center at for additional information. PTAs that require specific filing assistance, it is recommended that an accountant or tax professional specializing in nonprofit 501(c)3 organizations be consulted regarding all tax filings.

Federal IRS Form 990 Series

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 990 Series tax returns or an extension request Form 8868 must be filed no later than the 15th day of the fifth month after the fiscal year ends. For example, if your PTA’s fiscal year ends on June 30, your Form 990-N (e-Postcard), 990EZ or 990 is due on November 15. See filing instructions for Form 990-N (e-Postcard) or Form 990EZ or 990 at

Additional notes:

  • Schedule B must be completed if the PTA receives a donation of $5,000 or more from a single donor.
  • Most unit and council PTAs will not need to file a California Form 109 or an IRS Form 990T, unless they are separately incorporated. However, if the PTA has unrelated business income in excess of $1,000, these forms are required.
  • Advertising sales (not recommended) income is unrelated business income.
  • Sponsorship revenue is not unrelated business income.

California State Franchise Tax Board Form 199 Series

The California State Franchise Tax Board (FTB) requires all non-profit organizations to file the electronic Form 199N or Form 199.
Returns are due the 15th day of the fifth month after the fiscal year-end. For example, if your PTA’s fiscal year ends on June 30, the form is due on November 15. To file your Form 199N or for more information go to

California Attorney General’s Office, Registry of Charitable Trusts (AG/RCT)

The State Attorney General’s Office requires all nonprofits, including all PTA units, councils and districts, to file the RRF-1 Annual Registration Renewal Form annually. PTAs who do not file with the Attorney General’s Office will pay penalties and could be revoked by the Attorney General’s Office.

**NEW REQUIREMENT** Beginning with the 2019-20 fiscal year, all nonprofits, including PTAs, with gross receipts of $50,000 or less are required to file a CT-TR-1 Treasurer’s Report Form with the  AG/RCT together with the RRF-1 filing.

More information and links to the RRF-1 and CT-TR-1 Forms can be found on the AG/RCT website here: In addition, the California State PTA Tax Filing Support Center has links to the updated RRF-1 and new CT-TR-1 forms as well as annotated copies to provide additional guidance on how to fill them out correctly at

Have Questions or Need Assistance? Please contact your council or district PTA or visit the California State PTA Tax Filing Support Center at

Need help finding contact information for your council or district? Visit for a listing of council and district PTAs in California.

Insurance Rate Increase Notice

When working on your budget for the 2020-21 fiscal year, please plan to increase your insurance premium line item. Due to recent changes in laws and the pandemic, insurance carriers across the industry are considering raising premiums by as much as 20% or more. While insurance premiums will not be set until mid-August, California State PTA suggests an increase of $35 to cover what may be the new premium for next year.