Grants are awarded to local PTAs to support efforts that build and grow student achievement, parent engagement and family involvement to make a difference in your community.
Is your PTA researching a new outreach program, or perhaps expanding on current success? Then apply for California State PTA’s program grants. Available to unit, council and district PTAs in good standing, these unique annual grants are geared to support local PTAs in developing programs and projects that address four areas of major interest to our children, schools and members.
Develop and implement parent education programs and projects in such areas as health, child development, child abuse prevention or parenting skills. Programs or projects must be sponsored by the PTA applying for the grant. Program grant ideas include parent-resource centers, seminars and workshops, forums for parents of children with special needs and information on preparing healthy meals.
Develop and implement student-centered cultural arts programs which complement the California State PTA’s commitment to a quality arts education. The programs and projects should focus on expanding the students’ awareness and appreciation of the field of cultural arts and/or enriching and enhancing arts education programs and must be sponsored by the PTA applying for the grant. Program grant possibilities include performing arts assemblies, arts communications brochures, demonstrations, storytellers, read-a-thons and docents.
Translate PTA written materials and oral presentations in an effort to involve every member of the school community. Presentations or materials must be sponsored by the PTA applying for the grant. The California State PTA may use these translated materials when appropriate. Copy of the translated material must accompany the evaluation report. Program grant possibilities include translating written materials into other languages, providing translations at meetings and events, offering school community activities, enhancing partnerships and engaging non-English-speaking families.
Develop, promote and implement programs, projects and activities that will improve the overall health of children and adults. Program grant possibilities include classes, health fairs, awareness events, walking/running programs, sun safety initiatives and depression awareness efforts. Please refer to the Insurance Guide for approved activities.
Applications for the 2020-2021 school year were due October 1. The application is now closed.
A successful application for the California State PTA Grant Program will meet all of the following criteria:
- Your PTA is in good standing
- Grant funds awarded are expended by June 1
- Your completed application is submitted to California State PTA by October 1
Your successful application could not only mean funding for important programs, but also increased student achievement, community engagement and PTA strength. With program grants, everyone wins!
Before submitting your grant application packet, please remember to check that it includes:
- Completed application form signed by your PTA president
- Copy of your PTA’s most recent fiscal year-end audit
- Copy of your PTA’s current fiscal year budget
- Supplemental information and details (maximum 3 pages) on your proposed program or project describing:
- Your program and its purpose including goals, number of students served and expected outcomes
- Activities planned to implement your program and its goals
- Timeline for program budget
- Proposed program budget (typical grants range from $500 to $2,000)
- Other funding applied for or received for this program or project
- How your program will be implemented, if less than the amount requested is awarded
- How your program or project will be evaluated
By applying for a California State PTA grant, you can enhance the opportunity to support student achievement, build community engagement and strengthen your PTA.
Each year, the California State PTA Scholarship and Grant Committee carefully reads and vets each application. All applicants are notified of their status in December. Please contact California State PTA with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
PTAs selected for grant funding receive a letter of congratulations and recognition certificate from California State PTA along with a check and a grant report form. PTAs selected to receive a grant also:
- Submit a completed grant report form to California State PTA that:
- Describes program’s or project’s purpose and objectives
- Evaluates program or project outcomes including suggested improvements
- Supplies details on budget and actual expenditures for program or project
- Provides copies of any print materials developed
- Return any funds not used for the purpose stated on the original grant application along with the grant report form to California State PTA by June 1.
Congratulations to the recipients of the 2020-2021 Program Grants:
- Emery Park PTA (First District PTA)
- Dolores Huerta Elementary PTA (Second District PTA)
- South Lake PTSA (Fourth District PTA)
- Pauba Valley Elementary PTA (Twenty-Third District PTA)
- Helix Charter High PTSA (Thirty-Second District PTA)
- Dianne Feinstein Elementary School PTA (Second District PTA)
- La Habra Council of PTAs (Fourth District PTA)
- Las Posas PTA (Twelfth District PTA)