Convention workshops and table talks provide a great selection of hands-on learning and training opportunities to enhance your leadership skills and learn more about issues affecting children and families.
Workshops & Table Talks
All workshops and table talks are located at both the conference center and hotels. They are open to all properly credentialed participants until room capacity has been met. There are a variety of topics to offer something for everyone. Both workshops and table talks are 90-minute sessions. Electronic handouts will be available for download at www.capta.org beginning May 10, 2019.
Workshops are your opportunity to gain skills in areas of leadership, finance, membership, parliamentary procedures and more necessary in running your local PTA. Skilled board of managers, professionals and specialists will also present workshops on education, health, advocacy and more to enrich your learning experience.
Table Talks (TT)
Table Talks are facilitated learning groups on a specific subject. Each table consists of 10 participants which includes a facilitator. All participants in the group may share best practices and ideas on the subject matter for that table talk and are welcome to ask questions throughout the discussion.
SESSION A: Thursday, May 16 from 9-10:30 am
- Presidents – Everything You Need to Know (Part 1)
- What is Your Job as a Financial Officer of the PTA? (Part 1) (Interpreted in Spanish)
- Parliamentarians – Ways to Get Started
- Council Leadership
- Managing People and Conflict
- Advocate! It’s for the Kids
- “Look Within” – Running a Successful Reflections Program
- We All Want to Change the World – Resolutions
- We Need More than Stress Balls! Stress and Your Teen
- Circle Up and Play! A Strategy for Family Engagement (English and Spanish)
SESSION B: Thursday, May 16 from 5:30-7 p.m.
- Presidents – Everything You Need to Know (Part 2)
- What is Your Job as a Financial Officer of the PTA? (Part 2) (Interpreted in Spanish)
- Parliamentary Basics – Your GPS for Effective Meetings
- Best Practices for PTA Websites and Social Media
- AB2878 – Bring California State PTA’s Family Engagement Bill to Life at Your School
- Fundraising – From Basic to Beyond
- Membership Basics and More (Interpreted in Spanish)
- How to Address School Safety – A Presentation from the Association of California School Administrators (ACSA) Fatal School Violence Task Force
- Getting Real About Teens and Drugs – A Conversation
- School Smarts – A Family Engagement Strategy to Empower and Engage Parents
SESSION C: Friday, May 17 from 9:30-11 a.m.
- Breaking Down the Barriers – Building Successful Family-School Partnerships (English and Spanish)
- Suicide Prevention – What Parents Need to Know
- Safe in a Cyber World
- PTA 411
- PTA Programs – Easy, Fun and Free
- Presidents – Everything You Need to Know (Part 1) (Interpreted in Spanish)
- What is Your Job as a Financial Officer of the PTA? (Part 1)
SESSION D: Friday, May 17 from 2-3:30 p.m.
- Interactive Social Media Q&A
- Creating Events for All Abilities (Interpreted in Spanish)
- Building Your Budget
- Secretaries – PTA Minutes Make the Meeting
- Get the Latest on Legislation Affecting Children and Schools
- Presidents – Everything You Need to Know (Part 2) (Interpreted in Spanish)
- What is Your Job as a Financial Officer of the PTA? (Part 2)
SESSION E: Saturday, May 18 from 9-10:30 a.m.
- Public Speaking For Effective Communication
- Today’s LGBTQ+ Youth In Your School And Community (Interpreted in Spanish)
- Mental Health – Ending the Stigma and Helping Those Who Need It!
- Promoting Youth People’s Healthy Relationships
- Legal, Insurance and Tax Aspects of PTA
- Finance for Council and District Officers
- Next Level Advocacy – Strategies to Put Your Plan Into Action
- Marketing Your PTA with Electronic Membership
- The Arts Open Doors to Learning
- You’re On the Board — Now What? (Spanish ONLY)