Organizing a rally can be a highly effective advocacy tool to energize your members to work on advocacy activities.
Get a Rally Going
Here are some hints on getting your rally up and running:
- Decide on the purpose of the rally
- Decide on a message for the rally
- Set a date, time and location
- Obtain approval for the rally from your PTA and record it in the minutes (necessary for insurance)
- Obtain any necessary permits from the school district or the city/town
- Invite speakers such as PTA president, local legislators or their staff, school superintendent and board members, teachers and PTA advocacy chair
- Select a moderator who can keep the rally on track
- Invite the press, including TV, news stations, radio and newspapers and publicize the rally to parents and the community
- Make signs, which can be hand painted and affixed to paint sticks (request from a painting-supplies store) with staples
- Create activities to engage attendees, such as holding a letter-writing campaign with sample letters available at the event
- Sign up new members to PTA at the rally (Prepare for handling cash and bring membership cards.)
- Record and photograph the event for PTA websites and social media
- Let California State PTA know how it went by emailing email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.