Throughout the year, National PTA offers awards and grants honoring and supporting PTAs as we engage families, support student success, improve the health and safety of students and families, increase access to arts education or celebrate advocacy and diversity.
FUNDING AND RECOGNITION FOR PROGRAMS, VOLUNTEERS
- The National Jan Harp Domene Diversity & Inclusion Award – Honoring the memory, advocacy and legacy of past California State PTA President Jan Harp Domene, this award recognizes PTAs that best demonstrate outstanding achievement in the areas of diversity and inclusion, as well as efforts to end discriminatory practices. The award is presented to one state PTA and one local, council or district PTA at the Annual National PTA Convention.
- The National Phoebe Apperson Hearst Innovation in Family Engagement Award – Named for National PTA co-founder Phoebe Apperson Hearst, this award recognized and celebrates achievements in building effective family-school partnerships. Award recipients receive $2,000 and National PTA Convention recognition. The National PTA also awards four Merit Award certificates for exemplary family engagement initiatives.
- The National Shirley Igo Advocate of the Year Award – Named for tireless children’s advocate Shirley Igo — a lifelong model of public service and volunteerism — this award is granted to an individual PTA member who, through their leadership and advocacy efforts, affected federal policy priorities within PTA’s annual Public Policy Agenda. Award recipients receive an all-expense-paid trip to the National PTA Legislative Conference and recognition at a Capitol Hill awards ceremony in Washington, D.C.
- The National Mary Lou Anderson Reflections Arts Enhancement Grants – Building on the decades-long arts legacy of past Colorado State PTA President Mary Lou Anderson, these National PTA awards provide grants of up to $1,000 so PTAs can take arts education to the next level – especially for at-risk children.
- Take Your Family to School Week Grants – During each February’s Take Your Family to School, PTAs conduct activities that expand and enhance family engagement in schools across the country. National PTA offers grants of up to $1,000 for PTAs to plan and implement activities during this week to build positive parent-teacher relationships and engage families in the school community. Grants can be used to build positive partnerships with teachers and families, to connect parents to their children’s school experiences and to give children fun ways to share what they are learning and doing in class with their families. The grants are sponsored by the AXA Foundation.